Hello

Welcome to my blog! If this is the first time, you are here then I request you to kindly read my Introduction post because I have certain things to say and they are all there:)

Also, if somewhere while going through any of the posts, you feel that something is wrong, plz feel free to comment then and there. I love to get corrected and so, plz do not think a bit before commenting on anything you think I have mentioned is wrong. The only request is plz maintain your dignity and mine as well in the words you use! Kindly do not let your words be a slur on others:) I would be grateful.

Also, I assure you that before writing anything here I will get the same checked with some experienced people, I will do a research again and then only, I will post the same on my blog so you can trust me.


Disclaimer: All the posts on this blog are based on my personal learning, opinion and views. It has no connection, no connotation with the organization I am or I was working for or with any person associated with me.

Happy learning...
_____________________________________________

Introduction

I had been in telecom industry for more than 6.5 years now, of  which major part is covered by VAS (Value added services)! Then I have little experience in data cards, Postpaid U&R (Usage and retention), 3G, Mobile applications etc.... Its definitely been an amazing experience of learning. I was associated with a VAS vendor for more than 4 years and after that, had worked for one of the fastest growing Operators in India, then joined the leading operator and now, I am working with a company which is into mobile applications.

So now, I can proudly claim that I have good amount of experience with the two most important entities of VAS: vendors and operators. Being on the vendor side gave me a chance to get introduced to the technical world of this industry! I had no choice but to learn about the backend networking, billing, servers etc and I am glad I did that! And Operator side gave me an exposure to the different aspects of marketing: the non technical facet of this industry which aims at increasing revenue, branding, creating competitive products etc. Analysis is something I got to learn from both the entities, though the exposure of same at an Operator's end is much extensive, may be because here the data is huge and thus, use of different permutation-combination, understanding of different tools is definately required to get the desired results. Thus, my understanding about this industry is an amalgamation of my experiences from both the worlds. Though I know I have loads and loads to learn in the coming years and I am super excited and completely prepared for it...

For me, joining this industry was more by luck than by will. I was a bird in different world, when one fine day I ventured and got captured in this territory of Telecom! And yes, NO regrets:)

Before joining this industry, I was a free lancer in electronic media. So, I had never ever thought to join anything else apart from the creative world. Moreover, my academics background was not at all in favor of it. I am a PG in Eng literature! Yes, even you must be amazed as in then how come I had survived in this industry for so long! First let me tell you how I got into itJ Before getting married, I was in Delhi where I had a chance to be a part of one of the most amazing industry: Electronic Media and I still miss being a part of it!!

After getting married, I got shifted to Hyderabad where off course, I tried to enter the same industry but all in vain as knowing the local language here is compulsory to be in any channel or media house. Being in media means, to often interact with people and if you are not even aware of the local language then it is almost impossible to get connected with the masses which ought to create problem not just for you but even for the firm you are working with!

And so, after all my efforts to join electronic media got futile, I got so annoyed that I decided to give a shot to the interview calls from other parts. And thus, one fine day I got a call from this VAS vendor and I went for the interview and got selected! And then there was no looking back! Though, that time I had thought that this job would last for a short while, but then I started liking the work so much that it ended up to more than 4.5 years!

It was definitely not easy for me to join an industry where I was like an alien. I dint know anything, any basics! I was not even aware of simple terms like VAS (Value Added Services), GPRS (General packet radio service), CRBT (caller ring back tone), USSD (Unstructured supplementary service data), STK (Sim tool kit), Interface and all! Imagine my plight! I was almost riding a boat which was sailing in no water. Initially, all this left me confused and perplexed! I was made for the creative world and was stuck in technical world by luck!

But then somewhere, I admit that I started liking it and so, I just decided to stick around and learn about this new field. Though, still I have no clear idea what made me strong to stand next to the decision of mine of sticking around this industry, whether it was just my liking that made me strong or my stubbornness to prove myself, to crack it, to learn it, to engross everything which this Industry had to offer me, to extend my abilities! Whatever it was, I am glad that finally, the results were good!
I had successfully completed 6 years in this industry! Now when I look back I can see that I have learnt a lot which was beyond my academics power! I cannot deny the fact that the opportunities, exposure and support which I got from my first organization and its people was tremendous and it definately has the most important role to play in whatever I learnt and whereever I am today:)

Anyways, coming back to why I created this blog. In my initial days in this industry, I used to look around for some guidance, I used to look around for somebody who could explain me everything (including the things that sounded dumb) in simple terms! And so, now after passing that phase, I thought to pen down all that I have learnt here on this blog and that too in a layman's language, in simple words for all those who need help in understanding the tits and bits of this industry not from a technical point of view but from a non tech one! All the blogs, websites on Telecom/ VAS are from technical prospective! But this blog is going to be from a completely non technical prospective. I hope I will be of some help:) And also, I will keep on putting news and my views on it from time to time as I will not be able to resist myself from doing so because of 2 reasons: 1. there is so much going around in our industry, 2. being an owner of a telecom blog:)

I guess, my stress is majorly going to be on VAS, obviously because that’s the vertical I belong to. But surely, I will stretch myself to the other verticals of telecom as well. After joining an operator, I got to learn about the other verticals of Telecom (though its very little for now) and so, I will try to pen down even that in this blog.

Also, if somewhere you feel that something is wrong, plz feel free to comment then and there. I love to get corrected and so, plz do not think a bit before commenting on anything you think I have mentioned is wrong. I would be grateful. Also, I assure you that before writing anything here I will get the same checked with some experienced people, I will do a research again and then only, I will post the same on my blog so you can trust meJ

On more thing, I would like to add here please do not ever feel ashamed of asking any of your doubts to anybody how so ever dumb they sound because learning and knowledge are always higher than any humiliation, any shame.

Keep Smiling and keep your urge of learning always unquenched as that is life and blood of living!

Happy learning.

Disclaimer: All the posts on this blog are based on my personal learning, opinion and views. It has no connection, no connotation with the organization I am or I was working for or with any person associated with me.

1 comment:

  1. I chose to comment here after reading the whole chapter to say thank you for this layman's term info regarding Telecom. Overall, it's really a great help for me.

    ReplyDelete