Hello

Welcome to my blog! If this is the first time, you are here then I request you to kindly read my Introduction post because I have certain things to say and they are all there:)

Also, if somewhere while going through any of the posts, you feel that something is wrong, plz feel free to comment then and there. I love to get corrected and so, plz do not think a bit before commenting on anything you think I have mentioned is wrong. The only request is plz maintain your dignity and mine as well in the words you use! Kindly do not let your words be a slur on others:) I would be grateful.

Also, I assure you that before writing anything here I will get the same checked with some experienced people, I will do a research again and then only, I will post the same on my blog so you can trust me.


Disclaimer: All the posts on this blog are based on my personal learning, opinion and views. It has no connection, no connotation with the organization I am or I was working for or with any person associated with me.

Happy learning...
_____________________________________________

GSM Core Network: Basics

Ok, I guess I can start with exploring my knowledge on the core GSM network:) So, lets begin. The GSM network can be broadly divided into 3 parts:

- BSS: Base Station Subsystem
- NSS: Network Switching Subsystem
- NMS: Network Management Subsystem

We would be going through each one of them in detail in the next few chapters so for now, we need to maintain the patience:)

Though below is a brief about each one them to kill your curiosity.

- Base Station Subsystem :  This system takes care of all the radio related functions between a mobile and the network.It consists of Base transceiver stations (basically the tower) and a base station controller (a BSC)

- Network Switching Subsystem:This system takes care of the connection, authentication, encryption and supervision of a call.It consists of many elements/ entities. The main one being a Mobile Station Controller which handles many BSCs. Other entities being a Home location Register (HLR), Visitor location register (VLR), Authentication centre (AUC), Equipment identity register (EIR), Short message service centre (SMSC), Multimedia messaging service center (MMSC) etc.

- Network Management Subsystem:This system's responsibilities includes operations and management of the whole system

In next post, I have given a diagram depicting the connection between all these elements of the GSM network.

No comments:

Post a Comment